The starting point for achieving a better score on PTE Academic is understanding your current English proficiency level.
You can use your previous Test Taker Score Report to determine the enabling skills (grammar, oral fluency, pronunciation, spelling, vocabulary, and written discourse) and communicative skills (listening, reading, speaking and writing) that require further study to improve your English language ability.
Remember that your overall score is based on your performance on all test questions, so focus on the weaker areas and plan how long you’ll need to study to increase your skills up to the desired level.
Make sure you’re familiar with how PTE Academic is structured
Understanding the test format and types of questions is crucial to obtaining a better result. To improve your overall score it is important to:
- Familiarize yourself with the test format
- Speaking & Writing
- Length and timing: how long does each part of PTE Academic last? How much time is allowed for each question type?
- Quantity: How many parts are included in the test? How many questions?
- Layout: How is each question presented on screen?
- Instructions: What task needs to be completed for each question type? How are responses recorded?
- Question types: How are different question types presented on the screen? What tasks need to be completed? What skills are assessed? How are responses scored?